Summer vacation is coming. For students everywhere, the summer months will be a blur of sunshine, summer jobs, road trips, and relaxation.
For teachers around the world, that warm weather bliss comes with one more opportunity — the chance to rethink and restructure their courses and reinvigorate their classrooms for the coming school year.
In recent years, educators have been using that summer session as a springboard to make the switch to a blended learning environment, using technology as a classroom assistant to help improve their students’ learning experiences.
And while teachers are continuing to find new ways to adopt blended learning principles, one particular application is quickly becoming the new go-to strategy: the flipped classroom.
Today 1 in 5 teachers are thinking about flipping their classroom.
What You Need to Know When Planning to Flip Your Classroom
With a flipped class model, students watch pre-recorded lectures before class, then use in-class time for discussion and engaging activities. Schools that have begun flipping their classrooms report increased student engagement, attendance, and overall achievement.
As simple as the definition is, however, the options are many. Today educators have developed dozens of strategies, tactics, and best practices for flipping a classroom.
The best way to prepare for your own inverted classroom is the same advice you give your students — spend a little time this summer reading. There’s no shortage of helpful resources — here are a few of ours:
The Practical Guide To Flipping Your Classroom
Take a deeper look at the flipped classroom evolution, including the foundational strategy and early results that have so many teachers excited, in this white paper, The Practical Guide to Flipping Your Classroom.
The white paper covers recommended flipped classroom technologies for recording a variety of course content, sharing online videos with students, enabling video search, and more.
Flipped Classroom Recommendations, Strategies, and Tactics
- Which Flipped Classroom is Right For You? An introduction to the latest trends, strategies, and ideas in classroom flipping, including the 3 key parts of every flipped classroom.
- Get Flipped: Advice for Flipped Classroom Beginners. A quick review of the most essential considerations for teachers getting ready to flip their first class.
- Ready, Set, Go! How To Make Your Flipped Classroom Work. Ideas for helping your students prepare for learning in a flipped classroom environment.
- 7 Unique Flipped Classroom Models — Which is Right for You? A deeper look into some of the unique models of how a teacher can invert a class.
- Best-In-Class – Inspiration for Your Flipped Classroom. Three great examples of classroom flipping that’s going on right now using Panopto.
- How Can I Convince My Colleagues that Flipping the Classroom Is a Good Idea? A look at some of the most common reasons and goals for inverted classrooms, to help you make the case that flipping will be right for your colleagues.
Flipped Classroom Case Studies
- Flipping Classrooms at Eastern Michigan University — see how Eastern Michigan uses the flipped classroom concept to make courses more interactive and efficient.
- The Ongoing Evolution of Learning: A Biologist’s Continued Experiments with the Flipped Classroom. Dr. Jeremy Pritchard, Senior Lecturer and Head of Education at the University of Birmingham, shares his experience in flipping his classrooms.
- “I Use Technology In My Classroom… To Get Technology Out Of My Classroom”. How one teacher flips her classes to get students off their laptops – and into the discussion.
Video Examples Of The Flipped Classroom in Action
Bee Anatomy — A demonstration recording of course material using a laptop and an iPhone to record two streams of video simultaneously – the video of the faculty member that uses a webcam attached to a laptop, and the microscope video.
Biology — A simple screen recording-enabled lecture, showing presentation materials front and center for students to review.
Try Flipping Your Classroom With Panopto!
If you’re ready to start flipping your classes, Panopto can help. To find out more about how other institutions are using our system for flipped learning sign up for a free trial today.